Friday, May 8, 2009

One Month Ago . . .


She even poses for pictures while she sleeps :)


The Pleasant women of the house


Today our sweet lil' Annabelle is one month old.

Here is the story of her grand entrance into the world:

As on the day that Edward was to be induced, I awoke at 2am on April 8th, the day my labor with Annabelle was to be induced. With Edward the 2am awakening was due to labor pains, but on April 8th I was just anxious. I wanted to feel labor pains, but as hard as I tried, I could feel none. I did feel her moving and I tried to cherish that, since Hershal and I know that she is likely the last child we will have, and thus this would be the last time I was going to be pregnant (unless God has other plans). I was nervous about how the day would go - will everything go smoothly, will she be healthy, will I be okay, on and on went my thoughts. Our alarm went off at 3:15am so we could be at the hospital by 4am. On the way we stopped for some last minute Dunkin Doughnuts and then arrived in the pitch black morning to a quiet HealthPark Medical Center as scheduled for induction.

Our first labor nurse was a young, obviously new nurse. I tried to hold back my prejudices since I am a young woman in the medical profession as well, but after she missed her first attempt at my IV in a major way (I thought the needle may have gone through-and-through my arm on her first attempt), I decided my original thoughts about her were correct. The "newby" nurse said that there were some questions about my obstetrician's orders and the pitocin that was to be started at 4am when we got there, would not be started until 6am. So at 6am my labor pains began nice and slowly. No pain at first even, just tightening of my belly.

Thankfully, shift change brought Shannon, a wonderfully experienced labor and delivery nurse. Hershal and I liked her immediately. I liked her a little less after she increased my pitocin. The tightenings became stronger, but nothing to write home about.

Eight o'clock brought more pitocin and my OB, Dr. DiGorgi. She is also a young female with a wonderful bedside manner. She checked my cervix, which was 2cm the week before. Now it was 4cm to 5cm. She also broke my water, which took the belly tightenings to a whole new level. Now I was beginning to feel labor pains. Compared to labor with Edward (not induced), these contractions were just as strong, but did not last as long (thank the Lord). Dr. DiGorgi said I could have my epidural at anytime that I wanted. Shannon asked me if I wanted to request my epidural now, but I decided to wait a little longer.

At 8:30am Shannon said she had gone ahead and requested my epidural even though I had not asked for it because sometimes the anesthesiologist took a little while. By then, I was glad that he had been called because my contractions were picking up strength quickly. That water breaking really turned the corner on my contractions.

Well, we waited and waited. Shannon was desperately trying to get the anesthesiologist to come in, but apparently he was next door trying to fix the epidural he had given another patient which was only half working. Plus, he had a student with him and Shannon was all up in arms b/c that patient was already 9cm dilated and "what did she need him for at 9cm anyway!!!" she ranted. When she told me that he would be another 30 minutes more, it was 9:30am and I knew that I couldn't take it that much longer. I began to cry. I told Hershal, "this really hurts". I didn't look at him much b/c the pain with contractions was so strong I would close my eyes and moan and bend over. Later Hershal told me that he had tears in his eyes due to the pain I was in.

"Let me know if you feel you have to push" Shannon said. I wondered what she meant by that, but in another 15 min, I completely understood. She left the room for a few minutes (trying to get anesthesia, I am sure) and I told Hershal, "call for the nurse" with my next contraction. I remember the clerk answering my call light with "can I help you?" and all I could do was moan. Shannon was in there like a flash and quickly checked me. I was 6 to 7cm dilated. She had my OB paged.

"I have to push!!!" I told her. Then she yelled "Get me an OB stat!". In ran some man I have never seen before. "What can I do . . . " he started and then he looked at me and promptly yelled for some gloves. The contractions were really next to unbearable and I am pretty sure I screamed in pain a time or two. It did help the pain if I pushed. The OB introduced himself, although I have no idea what he said his name was, and the nurse gave him my brief obstetric history. He asked how my last labor had gone. Unable to speak I gave a thumbs up. As the nurses were helping me get in stirups, he told me to pull my legs back myself and push. I did this once and the pain was much better. "Look down" he told me, and when I opened my eyes it was like Christmas morning - there was Annabelle's head! "One more push" he said and out she came.

Hershal cut her cord and the nurses quickly put her on my chest. It was 9:55am and the world was a better place - Annabelle was here. She looked perfect!

All together I think I pushed three times (it was actually easier to push without an epidural because you can feel where to push). Having a healthy baby girl in my arms made the labor pains seem like a distant memory. I promptly apologized to the nurses and OB for any screaming. That afternoon I was walking around the hospital and we were both ready to go home the next morning.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy Mothers day!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story about a beautiful mother having a beautiful baby. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Barbara & Kevin